8.18.2017

photo op: reliving baking memories

RER 3.14.17
There was a time when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting
There was a time
Then it all went wrong…

No, I know. I’m being dramatic. And a Les Miz fan. Nothing has gone wrong. But…
RER 3.14.17
RER 3.14.17
 There was a time when I used to bake
And the kitchen smelled like cookies
And there was butter and sugar all over the place
There was a time
Then came adulting…
RER 3.14.17
RER 3.14.17
RER 3.14.17
RER 3.14.17
A lot has happened over the last few months: Life has just intensified in the most amazing ways from my job, to a status change, to looking forward to and toward the future. There has been little time for baking, but still plenty of time for eating well (pics or it didn’t happen).
RER 3.14.17

RER 3.14.17
RER 3.14.17
The last time I baked, it was chocolates chip cookies and a foggy memory. Coconut, too. Something about a snow day— a rare occurrence when I was in school, the very same school where I am starting my third year as a teacher (!!).  When I was young, the school would stay open and the less-than-attractive floors would be slippery and squeak with the melted snow from boots and shoes. Classes would be diminished, but we would learn things that you can’t find in books. The snow would be like a silencer for the outside world, but inside school there would be palpable excitement and an ineffable feeling of security and comfort.
RER 3.14.17
RER 3.14.17


RER 3.14.17 
RER 3.14.17
Making those cookies back in March made me feel that sense of coziness, and thinking about the last time I truly baked, makes me feel the same on this humid August day. And maybe, I also feel a little inspired…..
RER

8.18.17
RER 3.14.17

No comments:

Post a Comment

food for thought...