4.27.2015

MangiaMore: almond ANNIVERSARY cake

RER 4.24.15
If I could, I would bake a cake everyday — a cake to suit my mood, a cake to satiate my cravings, a different cake to share with my nearest and dearest. If I could I would bake cakes all of the time.

If only cake didn’t have calories. Le sigh.
RER 4.24.15

RER 4.24.15
RER 4.24.15
RER 4.24.15
This time, my cake had a reason, a worthy occasion: to celebrate my parents’ 33rd wedding anniversary (!!). It had to be delicious, something super tasty for my parents who deserve so much more.

I had no desire to play it safe, so I turned to Molly Yeh, whose beautiful cakes and treats inspire envy and admiration.  And once I remembered her Valentine’s Day Almond Cake, I knew it was the one.
RER 4.24.15
RER 4.24.15
RER 4.24.15
RER 4.24.15


This was another egg heavy recipe, but separating yolks and whipping whites was felt more natural, and every other aspect of the cake was fun and easy. 
RER 4.24.15
RER 4.24.15
RER 4.24.15
RER 4.24.15
I strayed from the recipe when it came to frosting. My father (and frankly, I) was uninterested in a whipped cream frosting, so I opted for my buttercream mainstay. I completely understand why the recipe offers a light almond whipped cream frosting. All those glossy stiff egg whites made for an airy and bubbly cake that was sweet but not dense at all. A lighter frosting would have complimented the bouncy cake, creating a lovely cake pillow.

But buttercream
RER 4.24.15
RER 4.24.15
RER 4.24.15

RER 4.24.15
RER 4.27.15
My icing choice set up delicious contrasting textures while heightening the almond flavor and upping the decadence factor (it was a special occasion, duh). The tang of cream cheese toned down the sweet saturation and made for easy spreading. A celebration calls for an adult twist, so a little Kahlua and much more Disaronno went a long way in my slightly chocolate frosting.

Once again, Happy Anniversary parentals!!
RER
4.24.15
RER 4.24.15

No comments:

Post a Comment

food for thought...